Sunday, December 30, 2012

I Firmly Resolve

It is that time of year again when people pull out their “goal” for the next year. Most people call it a resolution. Others seem to call it a false promise to yourself. When we think about New Year’s Resolutions, we usually set a lofty goal that will, in some shape or form, work towards our benefit. People join a gym, buy exercise equipment, or research diets in order to “live healthier in 2013.” As a personal trainer, my first job at a gym was set to begin January 1st a few years back. That was my first job offer. The “resolution” to live healthy or get in shape is so prominent that I was going to get paid (very well) to help people commit to their goal.
We all know, however, that many resolutions are often too lofty and unattainable. Perhaps 365 days is to big of a measure for a goal and we need to focus on shorter terms. I would always make short programs for my clients—-about 3 weeks in length. Rather than focusing on the long term goal of losing 15 pounds over the course of 12 weeks, I would set up short term, easily attainable goals: Week 1. I will motivate myself to go to the gym this week by laying out my gym clothes each night before I go to sleep; Week 2. I will master the technique of Exercise A and B this week; Week 3. I will work out an extra day this week by doing something fun—rock climbing, playing basketball, etc. The list of weekly goals would continue. By the 12th week, not only would the client enjoy their workout routine and want to continue it, but many would find that they lost more weight or gained more muscle than they anticipated.
The same thing is true in our resolutions of faith, namely our resolve to “go and sin no more” after we confess our sins in reconciliation. There are different versions of our “Act of Contrition,” but the one I was taught growing up includes the phrase, “I firmly resolve, with the help of your grace, to confess my sins, to do my penance, and amend my life…” That is an extremely attainable resolution, if we take it little by little. Let us make a different kind of New Year’s resolution for 2013. Let’s start with getting right with the Lord through confession. Whether it has been a week or 40 years, let us resolve to 1. confess our sins; 2. do our penance; and 3. Amend our lives. It can be done, little by little, and by the time we look at the scale of our spiritual weight, we fill find that our faith has become much stronger than we originally set out for.

No comments: