Thursday, January 5, 2012

Personal Reflection on the Holy Family


On December 28th I, along with seven others, piled into a 15-passenger van and headed to Minnesota. Why on earth would anyone want to go to Minnesota in the middle of winter in between Christmas and New Years? And why would they drive? The answer: A good friend of mine decided to get married in the heart of winter in one of the coldest states in the U.S. Because he was such a great friend (I consider him a brother) and the fact that I was in the wedding party, made me pack my bags and drive 26 hours to Minnesota. Flying was out of the question due to the fact that the holidays bring about jacked up airfare (over $1000 for my wife and I to fly there). Nevertheless, the Lord rewarded me in more ways than I could have hoped for.

I was amazed at the wedding. Not only did I meet one of the nicest families as I was introduced to my friend's new in-laws, but I experienced the Holy Family during this journey. As I witnessed my first wedding since my wife and I were united in July, I was overwhelmed by the devotion the bride and groom had to Christ. I witnessed their love of the Lord manifest in the celebration of their Nuptial Mass, which happened to fall on the feast of the Holy Family. As I explained to the couple during the reception, I had not felt the presence of the Holy Spirit in such a way in a long time. I never, with the exception of my own wedding, had been so prayerful during a wedding celebration. I thanked them for their constant focus and the way they made sure their guests knew who was at the center of their relationship. I felt as if we journeyed to Nazareth to be with the Holy Family simply because I was surrounded by holy familIES! The holiness and faithfulness of many of the couples in attendance also inspired me to live a life worthy of being called "Christian."

As I continue to reflect on the life Jesus, Mary, and Joseph lived during Jesus' childhood and adolescence, I am filled with excitement as I await the day I raise my own children-bringing them up in the ways of the faith. I have such great support and examples in my life to draw from. So, if you were to ask me if I traveled anywhere special this holiday season, the answer is YES!

No comments: